Sunday, July 13, 2008

Rehearsal Dinner

I wasn't really planning on joining in on the rehearsal dinner. I thought I would do something else with my evening - what I have no clue... but that was my thought. Of course since the day turned out to be somewhat quiet I figured it would be best to get myself out and mingle.
I have to say the rehearsal dinner was one of the best I have been to. OK - Jen and Jeff's out by the cranberry bog was good too - but in recent years... The dinner was before they all went to the church - which I thought was nice. It was a collection of sandwiches and salad and chips at the Botanical Garden. I guess you could call it a picnic.
I arrived early - again. There was a crowd of people around some tables eating - but no one I recognized. HAH - but given it was the day to run into people... Some man started waving to me and I think - umm visitor here you probably have me mistaken for someone else... And he keeps waving. I look behind me - no one. I look for Lesley - nope, not in his crowd. And then it hits me --- my friend's dad. How random. They were there with their church having a little picnic as well. We chatted for a bit - learned some more history of the Botanical Gardens, saw the roofline of the house he grew up in (why did I always think he grew up in St. David's?), talked about the cost of gas and the cost of living, saw the new SUV. Always a good conversation to pass the time - and unlike that first time I met him - I was actually able to follow the accent - seriously, the first time I met them I think I missed most of the first evening's conversation because of the accent...
Eventually I found the others and we had a nice dinner. I did venture in on the mom conversation with Lesley - I figured it best to talk about today instead of tomorrow. I still remember the phone call - I was sitting on the couch in my parents house packing to move to Charlotte. In the years since Lesley has made comments now and then about how things are different since her mom passed and how her perspective changed on some things - like the way she always tells me and all those important to her that she loves them... It's a sucky way to learn but I now know all too well what she means. Your mom would have been very proud - you were a beautiful bride and a wonderful hostess for all of us who came to share in your day...
And before I get too weepy - the new formal gardens were beautiful.


No comments: