Sunday, July 20, 2008

Dockyard!

FINALLY!!! I made it to Dockyard!!! I had said the last 2 times I visited that I wanted to get out to Dockyard to see the exhibits at the Commissioner's House. Of course the one time I only made it as far as the dock to pick up sandwiches for lunch. And the other time I was there for the Tatoo - which didnt' actually clue in for me until I had spent a better part of Saturday walking around. So now I was finally going to get to Dockyard to see everything and I also got to play tour guide as Chris' brother came along.
http://www.bermuda4u.com/Attractions/bermuda_attractions_royal_naval_dockyard.html
http://www.bmm.bm/
We met in town and took the ferry over. The speedy ferry at that.
First stop - Maritime Museum!
They have done a great job with the exhibits in the Commissioner's House. I am glad I got to see it. I must comment that the mural in the back stairwell is a bit much - can you say dark undertones and somewhat grim? That's OK we have about 3 murals like that in Charlotte and they are all dark like that as well.... I suppose being dark is more artistic. The info about the Newport Bermuda race was awe inspiring... I just can't imagine sailing from one to the other. What an amazing feat. And then I always like the dinghy exhibit.
We did spend some time watching the dolphins at Dolphin Quest. They were pretty much - right there in the water - no real barricades or anything... It was neat to watch them from that close.
Second stop - lunch and walking around the shops.. Hey, what has happened to Michael Swan? Should I now consider my prints in my living room collectors items?
We took the ferry back to town and walked around there for a bit.
It was a fun day.

No comments: