Friday, July 18, 2008

John Smith's Bay



So after spending Thursday site seeing and such I decided I could use an hour or so at the beach before needing to get ready for the wedding. Lesley and the bridesmaids were getting their hair done etc... The men were playing golf. I had no pressing engagements for the afternoon - so to the beach I went. I know I mentioned this earlier - the convenience of getting to John Smiths Bay is just wonderful.... down the hill to the left and back around to the right OR down the hill to the right and back around to the left... I kind of like going down right and back around left as I think it is just amazing how that one piece of road was just destroyed during Fabian 5 years ago.
I parked my bike and down to the water I went. I sat on my towel for a bit but really wanted to get in the water - that whole swimming thing and all.... The beach/ocean was dirtier on this day with sargasso than the previous visit. As I enterd the water I aimlessly scooped the sargasso out of my way. I knew the task was futile and most likely it would wash back out behind me and scare me --- but still I scooped, tossed, took a step. A gentleman to my left caught notice of my routine and commented - and somehow conversation ensued... turns out he lives on the island, was originally from NJ and arrived in BDA via CLT!!! Well I'll be... lucky son of gun... how ironic that my path was pretty close to the exact opposite... We chatted a little more on the state of things, NJ, CLT, BDA and then I was off for my swim. I swam along the length of the shoreline a couple times - for about 10 to 15 minutes. And then I found my way back to my towel.
All in all a peaceful afternoon.
And back home to get ready...

No comments: