Wednesday, July 9, 2008

John Smith's Bay

After my ride along South Shore I grabbed some lunch and headed to the beach for a little bit. I was to meet Lesley and friends at John Smith's Bay. I forgot how easy and accessible John Smith's Bay is. I walked on down close to the water and threw down my towel. So much nicer than the HOURS upon HOURS drive from Charlotte to the beach. Even better than the blocks of walking at the beach in NJ. I didn't stay on the sand too long before I got hot and worked up my nerve to hit the water (there are generally no waves to hit). The water was as blue as ever and very inviting - even if not as warm as I had hoped.
Once acclimated I decided it was now or never to attempt the ocean swimming bit. If I thought swimming in a long pool was difficult - I was in for even more of shock when trying to swim against currents and waves... I swam back and forth across the beach twice. It was about a 15 minute swim or so -- of course this needs to be posted on the other blog and the tracking serves a totally different purpose...
It wasn't too long after that excursion that I saw Lesley et al. We hung out in the water for a bit and on the beach for bit. I left before them with the thought I would make it to the tea in plenty of time if I left before them. But somehow they beat me... go figure.

No comments: