Saturday, August 14, 2010

Town

So I left my visit to town to the last day.  Cant say I really know why.  Just the way things panned out.
I rode the scooter into town even though there was a threat of rain.  I mean there was a reason why I water-proofed my jacket last week, right?  I parked where the old Number 1 shed used to be.  Ahhh, ample bike parking... a nice change...  And walked down to Miles Market to meet a friend for coffee.  Not the best of mornings to sit outside with a coffee but it didnt rain on us so that's a plus.
From there I walked back into town and did some shopping.  I think I could say that most of my Christmas shopping is done and I helped the Bermuda economy.
I had lunch at Silk.  I wanted to sit outside but the waiter just wasnt keen on the weather.  So I sat by the window with some chicken panang and watched the activity below.
By the time I got downstairs the cruiseship was getting ready to leave... so I just hung out on Front Street and watched.  I have to say I dont know the last time I did that.  The cruise ships are so big anymore.  I suppose they are impressive from the inside but wasnt all that impressed from the outside.
It was a nice day in town.  I must admit I miss Triminghams and Aston & Gunn.  I was disappointed in the book selection at Phoenix - no Patricia Shaw books to add to my reading list.  Things were different and things were the same.  It makes me nostalgic and sad all at the same time.
There is a new bar in town called the Stuffed Olive.  I keep saying it sounds like it should be a martini bar.  It wasn't until I was walking down Front Street why I was thinking this.... The Pickled Onion.  Did not even cast a shadow in its doorway this time around.

No comments: