Sunday, August 22, 2010

Longtail

In going back through my pics I realised that with the magic of just point and shoot with the digital camera I was in fact able to catch a picture of the longtail. 
There are great facts about the longtail which over the years I havent retained.  However, the Bermuda promoting web-sites always have a good reference handy for the facts.
Bermuda longtail

Yellow billed, white-tailed tropic bird, not indigenous but native. It is a national symbol and many souvenirs and pieces of jewelry are made with its image, some locally in gold and silver. The white-tailed tropic bird - or longtail as Bermudians know it - is Bermuda’s traditional harbinger of spring and one of the most beautiful features of our coastline during the summer months. Nesting from April to October in holes and crevices of the coastal cliffs arid islands - mostly in the Castle Harbour islands - where it is safer from human disturbance and introduced mammal predators, it is the only native seabird to have survived in numbers comparable to its primeval abundance on Bermuda. Once, up to about 1978, at least 3,000 nesting pairs used to breed along most of the coastline but the numbers have declined steadily due to coastline development, increased disturbance from an expanding population, and predation by illegally-stray stray dogs, cats, crows and oil pollution at sea. Also, they compete compete with pigeons for nests. Other factors include global warming and its higher sea levels that flood lower nest sites. Hurricanes Felix and Adrian in September 2004 destroyed many nests and filled others with rock.

Of course I always seem to think of the Bermuwjan Vurd definition of longtail.
LONGTAIL Young, unattached female tourists.
I do beleive that I was referred to as that by someone - jokingly of course.  I like to think that doesnt apply anymore.  Not because I am not young, but more so because I think I fall somewhere between onion and tourist... 

No comments: