Thursday, August 12, 2010

Southside

Southside silly not Southsiders (http://www.southsiderswaxhaw.com/index.html
I finally got up amd moving in the right direction this morning.  That would be the direction of Southside...  commonly referred to as where the old base was...  also where the McDonalds used to be.  It has caught my eye for a while now as that is where the Escape to Bermuda triathlon (that does not seem to be happening) took place a few years back.  If my assumptions were correct it is a somewhat flat course.  It looks to be a popular location for races (the schedules list it as Clearwater).  So I rode on out past the airport, around the round about where the base entrance was and turned on to Southside.
this link gives a good overview of where i was
http://www.escapetobermudatriathlon.com/Assets/Escape+to+Bermuda+Triathlon/Bermuda+Shorts+Maps.pdf

 Some suggested I park at the market and run towards the beach.  I opted to park at the beach instead.  I covere a little over 2 miles in 35 minutes.  Walk 5; run/walk 1on 1off for 15 minutes; walk for another; walk/run 1 on 1off until the end.
Now the swim... well it wasnt much of a swim.  I was in the water for about 12 minutes.  But I didnt go over the top with distance and strokes.  The life guard wasnt there yet and there was only one other person in the water.  So I took it easy.  It was nice to be in the water no matter what.  Too bad I cant find a way to do some open water swimming closer to home.

No comments: