Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Spittal Pond

Probably if you read further through the blog you will find that this is consistently one of my favourite spots.  Has been for years. 
So I opted against the McGalls Hill loop - although I was hoping for some consistency with that to track my pace - and headed to Spittal Pond.
I parked at the West entrance.  The first thing you notice is you are on the outskirts of a farm.  The cows were huddled up today.  Perhaps hiding from the sun and the heat - even in the early hours.  And boy can you tell they are there.  Man oh Man did is STANK.  And onward down the path I went.  At first you enter onto a trail that is shaded with flora and fauna.  As you progress you begin to hear the waves crashing on the shoreline.  One of the nicest aspects of the outing.  Just as you begin to see the ocean there is a side path that takes you to an "ocean overlook" or something like that.  I always make my way over there.  It is where I remind myself to take a seat and relax for the holiday.  Just take it all in.  I take pictures.  It gives me purpose.  But I try to remind myself - nope, no purpose, just sit.  I made it to about 4 minutes before getting antsy.  I did have the pleasure of seeing 6 longtails (the actual bird not the slang) while sitting there.  I hope I got a photo.  We shall see when I get home and download and post. 
I made my way back to the trail and into the official preserve.  You can work your way over the rocks to see more of the ocean and the waves and all.  I just love it.  I must wonder over the years if the various pictures I have taken while I have visited would show the erosion of time?  I can say when I lived here there was definite erosion from hurricanes and such.  I wonder how noticeable it would be.  Again I moved on.  I took more pictures.
I must admit this time I did not take the side path to Spanish Rock - recently renamed to Portuguese Rock.  I didnt feel like I had the time.  Other visits I have spent more time meandering and climbing and scaling the rocks.  Not so much today.  I made my way back out of the preserve and along the path back to the bike.
Got a better shot of VTLB as well. 

No comments: